Assistant Store Manager
Peet's Coffee & Tea
|The Assistant Store Manager is a store leader reporting to the Store Manager and supporting the Store Manager in achieving the Balanced Scorecard objectives and performance under the Retail Operating Philosophy (ROP). The Assistant Store Manager primarily focuses on the Serve, Manage, and Develop tenets of the ROP. Success in the Assistant Store Manager role includes developing team members by providing on-going coaching and training in order to ensure high performance and effective succession planning.
• Lead excellent customer service through in-the-moment coaching, role modeling, and utilizing Mystery Shop Program results and “Mission Inspired” customer feedback to reinforce and improve quality of service.
• Lead the team in serving customers according to speed of service standards. Plan and execute the deployment of staff to ensure that all team members work effectively together to provide superior customer service. Ensure training of opening and closing responsibilities as a key component of every team member’s service role.
• Assist staff in building their expertise of coffees, teas, and merchandise so that they may accurately answer customer questions and make personal recommendations.
• Lead regular coffee and tea tastings, showcasing seasonal items and reinforcing Peet’s coffee and tea authority to deepen customers’ connection to Peet’s.
• Ensure customer feedback and concerns are addressed within a timely manner.
• Demonstrate leadership of the store by ensuring cleanliness, organization, and attractiveness of store’s interior and exterior.
• Act as a role model protecting the store assets and facilities at all times through complying and ensuring compliance with Peet’s policies and procedures for safety, health, security, maintenance, and cash handling. Assist the Store Manager in the maintenance of current and accurate business, legal, and personnel records.
• Oversee appropriate inventory levels by ensuring the timely placement of orders.
• Manage store promotions, store presentation, and visual merchandising. Lead and oversee the training for each seasonal promotion and follow-up on the execution throughout the course of the promotion.
• Communicate essential information in a clear and timely manner, maintaining confidentiality where appropriate.
• Role model teamwork and respect in accordance with Peet’s Values. Maintain positive and productive relationships with all team members as well as other stores and departments.
• Manage the Core Training Program for all new Retail Associates and Shift Leads, including leading Day One Foundations and the Barista Certification. Utilize training tools and resources, including training tracker to monitor progress and attainment.
• Conduct regular coffee and tea tastings with team members to create and lead a culture of superior product, knowledge, and service.
• Contribute to the development of Retail Associates and Shift Leads by providing regular coaching and feedback to build their knowledge and skills. Recognize and respond to performance issues with Store Manager oversight.
• Support the Store Manager with effective succession planning and active recruiting of Retail Associate and Shift Lead candidates.
• A minimum of two years of retail management/supervisory experience and/or related experience and training.
• Continuous demonstrated ability to lead and provide excellent customer service.
• Proven and on-going ability to drive sales and control costs.
• Experience coaching, training, and developing others.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Effective time management and delegation skills
• Ability to effectively problem solve, using sound judgment
• Performance that consistently demonstrates Peet’s Vision, Mission, and Values.
In return for all of this, you will receive great benefits (including medical, dental, prescription, vision, 401(k) plan and life insurance), a respectful work environment, excellent training, a sense of accomplishment, advancement opportunities and the breadth and depth of coffee and tea knowledge from the gold standard specialty coffee company.
We encourage applicants of all ages, races and ethnic backgrounds.
San Francisco, CA 94112